On Oct. 25, 1843, Edward A. Scott of Sligo County, Ireland, became the first
student to arrive at the College of the Holy Cross. After his four years at
Holy Cross, he later enlisted in the Confederate army and became a professor
at Spring Hill College.
Written in the College's logbook on Oct. 4, 1890: "New lights (two in back
yard and one in front yard) were a glow tonight for first time. Effect wonderful."
In October of 1925, the name 'Crusaders' was adopted by the students of Holy
Cross by a vote of 143-24, defeating 'Chiefs' and 'Sagamores.' The Oct. 6,
1925 issue of the Tomahawk stated: "Now a new name appears before the
world, embellishing the spirit of Holy Cross with the zeal and ardor of knightly
valor, imbuing her sons with the fervor of legendary memoirs."
Linden Lane's surface was changed from cement and cinder to penolithic pavement
in October of 1933 by the Warren Brothers Co.
The front page of the Oct. 21, 1941 issue of the Tomahawk proclaimed "Loyola
Hall Is Rechristened: Trustees Select 'Carlin Hall' As New Title for Sophomore
Building in Honor of Former President." This decision was made to commemorate
Fr. James J. Carlin's life, during which he served Holy Cross both as president
The new press box on Fitton Field was used for the first time during the 1954
On Oct. 19, 1962, students had a solution for the laundry problem - on this
day a new laundromat was opened in Campion.
The Limbo Coffee House, established in 1965 to provide
on-campus entertainment, was closed on Oct. 18, 1968.
After the opening of the Hogan Campus Center,
the coffee house's patronage had dropped to such a level that it was not feasible
for it to remain open.
The bell from the towers of Fenwick was moved to the
lawn in front of O'Kane in October of 1975, where it
The 'Hand of Christ,' created by the Italian sculptor
Enzo Plazzato, was presented to Holy Cross by B. Gerald
Cantor on Oct. 23, 1979. The ceremony and unveiling took
place in the foyer of the library; the sculpture was
later put on the Dinand stairs at the request of Plazzato.
In Oct. 1981, Holy Cross' grading system for the fall
semester was drastically changed when minus grades were
approved for the first time.
The Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Art Gallery in O'Kane was dedicated on Oct. 6,
1983. Fr. Brooks stated that the gallery "affords the entire Holy Cross community
an opportunity to experience the artistic beauty which so readily helps us
attain the openness and tolerance necessary if we are to understand who we
are and how we relate to one another." The first exhibition shown in the new
gallery consisted of 31 sculptures by Auguste Rodin.
Holy Cross received the 1983 Grand National Award for
the best maintained grounds of any institute on Oct.
28. This was the second time the college had won the
award in this category, and it was the fifth award
for the grounds in six years.