Holy Cross Home Skip the Navigation
Search | Site Index | Directions | Web Services | Calendar
 About HC    |   Admissions   |   Academics   |   Administration   |   Alumni & Friends   |   Athletics   |   Library
Holy Cross Magazine
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Book Notes
  Class Notes
 
  Road Signs
   
  Search the Magazine
  All Issues
  About the Magazine
   
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  In Memoriam
     
    1929-1950

1951-2005

Friends



1929

William D. Kelleher II
June 22, 2003

At his home in Worcester, at 95. A longtime businessman, Mr. Kelleher had been the president of the American Supply Co. of Worcester and Boston; founded by his father in 1899, the company ceased operations in 1981. In addition, he and his brother, Thomas, owned the Northbridge Furniture Co. of Worcester and the Lewis Furniture Co. of Fitchburg and Framingham. In 1954, Mr. Kelleher was awarded the papal medal, Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice, by the late bishop of Worcester, John J. Wright. An avid golfer, he held an honorary life membership at Worcester Country Club following 75 years of membership; in 1951, he shot a hole in one on the sixth hole there. Mr. Kelleher also studied boating and yachtmanship with the Worcester County Power Squadron; attaining the rank of navigator, he taught Power Squadron courses. He served on the boards of the Worcester Country Club; Catholic Charities of Worcester; and Bay State Savings Bank. In the 1920s, his high school Radio Club was awarded the first FCC radio license in Worcester, which became WSRS96.1. Mr. Kelleher is survived by four sons; four daughters, including Polly Kelleher Sturm ’77; a brother, Thomas A. ’37; 16 grandchildren; and many nephews and nieces.

Rev. John P. Lucey
July 16, 2003

At the Norwell (Mass.) Knoll Skilled Nursing Facility, after a brief illness, at 95. Ordained to the priesthood in 1932, Fr. Lucey served as the curate of various parishes in Massachusetts, including St. Mary’s Church, Jefferson; St. Thomas Parish, Adams; St. Mary’s Church, Winchendon; Our Lady Immaculate Parish, Athol; St. Patrick’s Church, South Hadley Falls; Holy Family Church, Springfield; Blessed Sacrament Church, Holyoke; Our Lady of Hope, Springfield; Saint Michael’s Parish, East Longmeadow; and St. Mary’s Church, Springfield. In 1963 be became the pastor of St. Christopher’s Church in Brimfield and, in 1975, of Our Lady of the Annunciation Parish in Florence. Dean of Hampshire County West from 1976 to 1978, Fr. Lucey was appointed the episcopal vicar of the Franklin-Hampshire Vicariate in 1978. During his ministry he served on the Bishop’s Commission for the Clergy and two terms on the Diocesan Senate. Following his retirement in 1980, Fr. Lucey continued to work at St. Helen Church in Norwell. He is survived by a brother; and a sister.

1930

Leo G. Cyr
July 27, 2003

At his home in Sterling, Va., at 93. A career foreign service officer, Mr. Cyr worked 37 years for the federal government; his first assignment was with the National Recovery Administration in Washington and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Working a year for the Rural Resettlement Administration and four years at The National Archives, Mr. Cyr entered the service of the Department of State in 1941; during his early years with the State Department, he worked on economic warfare programs, postwar disposal of surplus property and civil aviation projects. Following an assignment to the National War College in 1948-49, Mr. Cyr returned to the State Department to assist with the establishment of a new African bureau; he served as deputy director and the director of the Office of African Affairs from 1952 to 1957. Mr. Cyr was assigned to Tangier as consul general in 1957 and, in 1960, to the Republic of Cameroons, where he held the post of chargé d’affaires in Yaoundé. From 1961 to 1965, he served as the deputy chief of mission in Tunis, Tunisia. Following an academic year as diplomat in residence at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, Mr. Cyr was appointed ambassador to Rwanda by former President Lyndon Johnson; he served five years in the capital city of Kigali prior to retirement. Mr. Cyr is survived by his wife, Katherine; a son; two daughters; four grandchildren; and four great-grandsons.

1933

George F. Derby
July 27, 2003

In St. Mary’s Healthcare Center, Worcester, at 94. During his career, Mr. Derby worked more than 40 years for the U.S. Postal Service. He leaves no immediate relatives.

1934

Constant T. Paulukonis
July 6, 2003

In Autumn Village Nursing Center, Worcester, at 92. Prior to his retirement in 1976, Mr. Paulukonis had served 36 years as the principal of Lake View School in Worcester. Previously, he had worked at Union Hill School, Bloomingdale School and Grafton Street Junior High School, also in Worcester. Mr. Paulukonis is survived by a son; a daughter; two sisters; five grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and nephews and nieces.

1935

Rev. Joseph I. Collins
Sept. 30, 2003

At the Regina Cleri Residence, Boston, at 89. Ordained to the priesthood on May 3, 1940, Fr. Collins served in the Archdiocese of Boston for many years. He began his ministry as a curate at St. Mary of the Assumption Church, Hull, Mass., and Gate of Heaven Parish in South Boston. Entering the U.S. Army in 1944, Fr. Collins had been a military chaplain with the 89th Infantry Division, Camp Butner, N.C., and also in Germany and France; he was the recipient of two Battle Stars for combat. Fr. Collins then served as curate of St. Paul Church, Cambridge, Mass., from 1948-65, and as pastor, from 1965-71; he became a chaplain at Radcliffe College and Harvard University in 1960. Fr. Collins was the pastor of St. Pius V Church, Lynn, Mass., from 1971-83. In addition to serving as secretary of Liturgical Week, Boston, 1948 and as chairman of the United Ministry at Harvard, from 1963-64, Fr. Collins had been a member of the Liturgical Commission for the archdiocese; the Cambridge (Mass.) Unity Committee, from 1965-71; the Cambridge Economic Opportunity Committee, from 1968-71; the Cambridge Executive Committee, from 1959-72 and the Knights of Columbus. Fr. Collins had been a chaplain for several service organizations, including the Cambridge Council, Boy Scouts of America, from 1955-61; the Lynn (Mass.) Fire Department, from 1973-80; and the American Legion Post in Cambridge, from 1948-71. He was also the co-founder of the Boston Archdiocese Choir School at St. Paul, Cambridge. Fr. Collins had been in residence for two years at St. Michael Parish, Avon, before entering the Regina Cleri Residence in 1985; during this time he continued to celebrate Mass as a visiting priest in area parishes. He was a Holy Cross class agent. Fr. Collins is survived by many nieces and nephews, including James F. Jr., M.D., ’70; Michael F., M.D., ’77; and J. Christopher ’80. His brothers were the late James F., M.D., ’33 and Francis J. ’39.

Thomas A. O’Keefe Jr.
July 31, 2003

In Massachusetts, at 90. A third generation leather manufacturer, Mr. O’Keefe owned T.A. O’Keefe Leather, located in Salem, Peabody and Beverly, Mass. He worked 60 years in the industry, retiring in 1985. Mr. O’Keefe had also been an avid horseman and showed his horses. He is survived by two sons, including Peter J. ’64; five grandchildren, including Peter J. Jr. ’95; and several nephews and nieces.

1937

Paul F. Donohue Sr.
Aug. 23, 2003

At St. Peter’s Hospital, Albany, N.Y., at 87. The founding partner of the law firms of Donohue, Bohl, Clayton & Komar and Paul F. Donohue Sr. and Associates in Albany, Mr. Donohue had practiced law for more than 50 years, retiring in 1985. He had also been a member of the board of trustees of St. Coleman’s Home, Watervliet, N.Y., for over 50 years. Following retirement, he was active in community affairs, serving more than 18 years as a driver for Meals on Wheels and as an announcer on RISE and WMHT radio for the blind. A World War II veteran, Mr. Donohue had been a lieutenant in the Navy; following the war, he worked as a law clerk for Judge Marvin Dye of the New York Court of Appeals. Mr. Donohue had been a Holy Cross class agent. He is survived by his wife, Ann; three sons, including Paul F. Jr. ’66 and Daniel J. ’75; a daughter; and eight grandchildren.

1938

Thomas F. Maher
July 27, 2003

In St. Vincent Hospital at Worcester Medical Center, at 87, after an illness. Mr. Maher had been a realtor and a partner in Maher & Associates, Worcester, retiring in January. He is survived by a brother, Edward C. ’40; and nephews and nieces, including Kevin J. ’76, Sheila M. Quigley ’83, Edward C. Jr. ’87 and Mary C. Wright ’88. His brother was the late Cornelius L. Jr. ’34.

1939

John J. O’Neill
July 5, 2003

At the Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, Dover, N.H., at 85. A longtime educator, Mr. O’Neill had been a professor of philosophy for more than 30 years at Boston College; he then taught at Bunker Hill Community College, Boston, prior to retirement. Mr. O’Neill began his career at Fitchburg (Mass.) State. He is survived by several cousins.

1940

Rev. Robert G. Howes
June 23, 2003

In Wayside House, Wayland, Mass., at 83. During his ministry, Fr. Howes served in 32 different churches in the United States, Canada and the Bahamas as a church pastor planner. Ordained to the priesthood in 1951, he was based out of the Diocese of Worcester. Fr. Howes was the author of several books, including Bridges, Toward the Inter-parish Regional Community, which won the 1998 first prize from the Catholic Press Association; he also wrote poetry which appeared in many periodicals. Fr. Howes created the first Catholic television program in Worcester, titled “Lamp to Our Feet.” He also supervised the creation of 200 wayside shrines throughout Worcester County by the Catholic Youth Councils. During the 1960s, Fr. Howes formed and chaired the Clergy Committee for the Community in Worcester. A founder of the National Organization for Prayer in the public schools, he advocated for this right on national television and before the U.S. Supreme Court. He was the founder of the Conference of Pastor Planning and Council Development and a charter member of the American Institute of Planners. In 2003, Fr. Howes was the recipient of the Lumen Gentium Award from the Conference for Pastoral Planning and Council Development. A first lieutenant in the Army during World War II, he was stationed 15 months in Greenland and a year in occupied Germany. Fr. Howes is survived by a sister-in-law; many nephews and nieces; and grandnephews and grandnieces.

1942

Robert O. Kelley
July 20, 2003

At his home in Manchester, N.H., at 84. Prior to his retirement in 1981, Mr. Kelley had worked for the federal government as the chairman of the Veteran’s Review Board. Previously, he had been an attorney for the McLane Law Firm. Active in the St. Vincent de Paul Society, Mr. Kelley had been a volunteer for many years through the RSVP program, providing free legal services for people in the Valley Street Jail; he was also a founder of the North Little League’s minor league team. During World War II, Mr. Kelley served in the Army. He had been a Holy Cross class agent. Mr. Kelley is survived by a son, Robert O. Jr. ’70; a daughter; and six grandchildren.

William E. Rogers, M.D.
May 6, 2003

In Wilkes-Barre (Pa.) General Hospital, at 82. A fellow of the American College of Surgery, Dr. Rogers was licensed to practice in Pennsylvania, New York and California; he maintained an office in Bronxville, N.Y. During his career, Dr. Rogers had been chief of surgery for the Veterans Administration Hospital, Saginaw, Mich., and at the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Plains Township, where he also served as the director of the surgical residency programs. In addition, Dr. Rogers had been an associate professor at New York Medical School and Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa. A World War II Navy veteran, he served as a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force during the Vietnam War, holding the post of chief of surgery at Travis Air Force Base, Fairfield, Calif. Dr. Rogers is survived by his wife, Roberta “Bobbi”; four daughters; seven grandchildren; and two sisters.

1943

Albert L. George, D.D.S.
May 23, 2003

In Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, Rockville, Md., at 81. Prior to his retirement in 1990, Dr. George had maintained a private dental practice in Worcester for 44 years. During the Korean War, he served as a dentist in the Army. Dr. George had been an accomplished 10-pin bowler. He is survived by his wife, Gloria; a son; his caretaker, Jill George; a grandson and a granddaughter; and several nephews and nieces.

Thomas F. Riedy Jr., M.D.
July 17, 2003

At the Villa Mary Immaculate Nursing Home, Albany, N.Y., at 81. During his career, Dr. Riedy practiced with the late Dr. Hugh Leahy and served as the school pediatrician for the Albany School District for 35 years. He was also a former instructor of pediatric medicine at Albany Medical College and an attending pediatrician at the Albany Medical Center, St. Peter’s Hospital, Brady Maternity Hospital and Memorial Hospital. Dr. Riedy had been a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics. From 1946-48, he served as a captain and battalion surgeon with the 25th Division U.S. Army Medical Corps in Osaka, Japan. Dr. Riedy is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; four sons; five daughters; and 24 grandchildren.

1944

Rev. Robert F. Hoey, S.J.
April 29, 2003

At Campion Center, Weston, Mass., at 81. A longtime college professor and chaplain at Boston College, Fr. Hoey had worked at the Jesuit Provincial Offices toward the end of his career. From 1971 to 1976, he had been director of personnel and editor of the Province Registry. After serving as assistant director of development at Boston College High School, assistant pastor at a Leominster (Mass.) parish, and assistant director of the Jesuit Missions Office, he returned to provincial headquarters in 1985 as librarian and coordinator of the province’s personnel data. In 1942, Fr. Hoey entered the Society of Jesus, Lenox, Mass., where he studied for four years before pursuing his master’s degree in philosophy at Weston College. He then taught English, Latin and history at Fairfield (Conn.) Preparatory School from 1948-51 and subsequently returned to Weston College for theology studies. Ordained to the priesthood in 1954, Fr. Hoey completed his theology studies at Weston the following year. He then taught theology one year at Boston College High School and completed a year of advanced ascetical studies and pastoral work in Connecticut. In 1957 he began working at Boston College, where, during the next 12 years, he served as a professor of theology; assistant dean of the School of Education; director of the summer session; and university chaplain. Following a one-year sabbatical, Fr. Hoey returned to the college to serve as assistant chairman of the theology department; he compiled a collection of new prayers for publication which had been composed during and after Vatican Council II. Fr. Hoey is survived by three cousins.

1946

Austin T. McGrath
July 6, 2003

At his home in Galway, N.Y., at 81. Prior to his retirement in 1988, Mr. McGrath had been employed by Ralph Wilson Plastics, Congress, N.Y., as a manager for 25 years. Following retirement, he was president of the Galway Senior Citizens; a master gardener in association with the Cornell Cooperative Extension; a volunteer gardener for the handicapped in Saratoga County; and a volunteer driver for the Meals on Wheels program. Mr. McGrath is survived by his wife, Rita; two daughters; a sister; six grandchildren; one great-granddaughter; and several nephews and nieces.

Philip E. Prior Sr.
April 29, 2003

In Connecticut, at 78. During his career, Mr. Prior had been employed as a regional sales manager with International Chemical Co., until 1977; he retired from the American Oil and Supply Co. in 1987. Mr. Prior had also been the chairman of the Economic Development Commission in Rocky Hill, Conn., for several years. A Navy veteran, he served aboard the USS Jallao submarine in the South Pacific during World War II. Mr. Prior is survived by his wife, Lorraine; two sons; a daughter; five grandchildren; a stepgrandson; two brothers; two sisters; and several nephews and nieces.

Edward J. Woodward
April 29, 2003

In Holmes Regional Medical Center, Melbourne, Fla., at 79. Prior to his retirement in 1983, Mr. Woodward had been the packing manager at Denison Laboratories in Pawtucket, R.I., for nine years. Previously, he had been employed at Lincoln Foods in Lawrence, Mass., and the Davies-Rose Hoyt Division of Kendall Co. in Needham, Mass. At the start of his career, Mr. Woodward had been employed by Calvert Distilling Co. in Relay, Md., from 1947 to 1957; he later worked as plant superintendent and packing manager at Federal Liquors in Cambridge, Mass. A Navy veteran of World War II, Mr. Woodward served as an executive officer LCI in the Pacific theater. He is survived by a daughter; a sister; a nephew; three nieces; and seven grandnephews.

1947

Raymond A. Cote
Aug. 18, 2003

In Holyoke (Mass.) Hospital, at 81. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Cote had worked for the Allstate Company as a manager and claims analyst for 35 years. An Army veteran of World War II, he received the American Theater Campaign Ribbon; Asiatic Pacific Theater Campaign Ribbon; Philippine Liberation Ribbon with Bronze Service Stars; and Victory Medal. Mr. Cote is survived by his wife, Priscilla; a son; two daughters; a sister; seven grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; and a nephew and two nieces.

Vincent E. Hinson
June 10, 2003

At his home in Shrewsbury, Mass., at 80. Prior to his retirement in 1987, Mr. Hinson had been a group pensions underwriter for the Allmerica/State Mutual Insurance Co. in Worcester for 35 years. He had also been a coach and member of the board of directors of the Shrewsbury Little League. A Marine Corps veteran of World War II, Mr. Hinson served in the Pacific where he was awarded the Bronze Star for valor; he later served in the Korean War. Mr. Hinson had been a Holy Cross class agent. He is survived by two sons; two daughters; two sisters; and 11 grandchildren.

Thomas F. Kelly
May 25, 2003

At his home in Londonderry, N.H., at 81. During his career, Mr. Kelly had served as a salesman for several insurance companies, including Prudential and Great American. In 1995, he came out of retirement to work for Northern Life, where he was ranked among the company’s top salesmen for two consecutive years. Mr. Kelly had also owned and operated his own tax preparation business in Westborough, Mass., for 15 years. An Army veteran of World War II, he served with the Army Air Force meteorology department. Following graduation from Holy Cross, Mr. Kelly had been an FBI agent for four years. He is survived by his wife, Doris; a son; three daughters; six grandchildren; and many nephews and nieces.

1948

Robert S. Chisholm, D.D.S.
Feb. 7, 2003

At Penobscot Bay Medical Center, Rockport, Maine, at 80. Prior to his retirement in 1996, Dr. Chisholm practiced dentistry for more than 44 years in Rockland, Maine. A Navy veteran of World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant (j.g.), he continued in military service with the U.S. Naval Reserve. Dr. Chisholm served many years on the board of directors of the Rockland District Nursing Association. He is survived by his wife, Regina; six sons; and a brother. His father was the late John A. ’16.

1949

At press time, the editors learned of the death of our prominent alumnus, William A. Eagan ’49. Mr. Eagan’s obituary will appear in in the winter issue of  Holy Cross Magazine.

Walter C. Brennan
May 26, 2003

In the Pavilion Extended Care Center, Centerville, Mass., at 76, after a long illness. During his career, Mr. Brennan had been a sales representative for Capeway Plumbing and Heating Supply Co., Wareham, Mass., retiring in 2000. A three-sport athlete at his alma mater, Marlboro (Mass.) High School, he was a member of the Holy Cross football team; in 1946, he scored a touchdown in the Orange Bowl against the University of Miami. Mr. Brennan is survived by his wife, Doris; three sons, including Richard S. ’74; two daughters; three brothers; two sisters; eight grandchildren; and many nephews and nieces. His brother was the late William J. ’55.

Philip A. Stent, M.D.
July 25, 2003

At the John N. Dempsey Hospital, Farmington, Conn., at 75. At the time of his death, Dr. Stent was the medical director for the Office of Emergency Medical Services, state of Connecticut. Previously, he had served as the director of emergency services at John N. Dempsey Hospital, UConn Health Center. At the start of his career, Dr. Stent joined the surgical practice of Dr. William Ellis in 1961. In 1969, he was appointed the director of ambulatory care at St. Francis Hospital, Hartford, Conn., where he assumed the responsibility for the emergency department and outpatient services; he began working at the John N. Dempsey Hospital in 1980. A Navy veteran, Dr. Stent was stationed in Memphis, Tenn., from 1957-58. He had been a member of many professional organizations, including the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians. Dr. Stent is survived by his wife, Linda; four sons; two daughters, including Belinda S. ’76; six grandchildren; and a sister.

1950

Rev. William L. Quirk
Aug. 2, 2003

At the Catholic Medical Center, Manchester, N.H., at 74. Serving the Diocese of Manchester throughout his ministry, Fr. Quirk had been the pastor of St. Timothy Parish, Bristol, for six years prior to his retirement last October. Previously, he had been the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Laconia, from 1992-96; St. Mary Parish, Rochester, from 1989-92; and Immaculate Conception Parish, Portsmouth, from 1983-89. Ordained to the priesthood in 1954, Fr. Quirk was appointed associate pastor of St. Joseph Cathedral in Manchester. He then served as associate pastor of St. John the Evangelist Parish, Hudson; St. Bernard Parish, Keene; and St. Joseph Parish, Laconia. Appointed administrator of St. Catherine Parish, Charlestown in 1966, he later became pastor of St. Patrick’s Parish, Pelham, St. Matthew Parish, Windham and St. Peter Parish, Concord, from 1978 to 1983. Following retirement, Fr. Quirk served as a temporary administrator for St. Patrick Parish, Jaffrey, and provided pastoral assistance at St. Elizabeth Seton Parish, Bedford. Dean of the Concord, Laconia and Dover deaneries, he had been a member of the College of Consultors; the Council of Priests; the Priest Personnel Board; diocesan director for the Bureau of Information and notary of the Marriage Tribunal. Fr. Quirk is survived by his sister-in-law; a nephew and three nieces.

 

   College of the Holy Cross   |   1 College Street, Worcester, MA 01610   |   (508) 793 2011   |   Copyright 2003   |                  email   |   webmaster@holycross.edu