Fields: Homeric epic (http://www.homermultitext.org), oral poetics, Greek tragedy
• CV (PDF) »
My research specialities are Homeric epic and ancient Greek tragedy. I investigate the Iliad and Odyssey as oral, traditional epics and strive to understand them on those terms. For both Homeric epic and Greek tragedy, I am especially interested in the performance of these works and how that performance informs or affects interpretation of them. Much of my scholarship is collaborative, especially that related to the Homer Multitext.
Some of My Publications
Imagining Illegitimacy in Classical Greek Literature, Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books, 2003.
- “Tell Me How It Hurts: an intersection of poetry and pain in the Iliad,” New England Review 37.2 (2016): 31–46.
- “Allies in Fame: Recruiting Warriors in the Theban and Trojan Epic Traditions,” Trends in Classics 6.2 (2014): 319–335.
- “Mothers-in-Arms: soldiers’ emotional bonds and Homeric similes” (with Casey Dué), War, Literature, and the Arts, vol. 24, 2012.
- “Error 404: Theban Epic Not Found,” Trends in Classics 2.2 (2010): 239–258.
- “Digital Criticism: Editorial Standards for the Homer Multitext” (with Casey Dué), Digital Humanities Quarterly 3.1 (2009).
- “Text and Technologies: the Iliad and the Venetus A,” 31–56 in Recapturing a Homeric Legacy: Images and Insights from the Venetus A Manuscript of the Iliad, ed. Casey Dué, Center for Hellenic Studies and Harvard University Press, 2009.
- “Butler’s Authoress of the Odyssey: gendered readings of Homer, then and now,” Classics@ Issue 3: The Homerizon: Conceptual Interrogations in Homeric Studies, ed. Armstrong and Dué, Center for Hellenic Studies, Washington, DC. September 2006.
- “Marginal Figures in Greek Tragedy,” 366–376 in A Companion to Greek Tragedy, ed. Justina Gregory. Oxford and Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, 2005.
- “The List of the War Dead in Aeschylus’ Persians,” Harvard Studies in Classical Philology 100 (2000): 83–96.
- “The Wrath of Helen: Self-Blame and Nemesis in the Iliad,” 3–20 in Nine Essays on Homer, ed. Carlisle and Levaniouk, Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999.
Greek 102 Introduction to Greek 2 MWF 12:00
Greek 332 Homer T Th 11:00
Latin 102 Introduction to Latin 2 MWF 11:00